Region

The Region of Château Bellevue la Forêt

 

click on the image to enlarge it

The Fronton vineyards are bound up with the history of the Canton which was for many centuries administered by the Order of St. John of Jerusalem. The Pope Calsite II appreciated the wine during his visit of 19 July 1119 and mentioned it in his writings.


In 1122 AD one finds mention of the importance and renown of these vineyards in a parchment written in Latin detailing the gift of Fronton to the Order of St. John of Jerusalem. As for Villaudric, it was established in the “Custom of Villaudric of 1470” which took over from the ancient charter dating probably from the 12th century.

 Louis XIII in his travels in Fronton in 1632 also appreciated this wine of Toulouse and this resulted in the consumation of a great many barrels. Louis XIII accompanied by his minister Cardinal Richelieu besieged Montauban the Protestant stronghold of the time.

The archives of the parish of Villaudric describe the visit of the Cardinal, a parish spared the ravages of war although neighbouring Fronton had been the theatre of numerous battles during the religious wars. This prompts one to believe that the vineyards of Fronton and Villaudric were then grouped under the same name and in their progress Louis and his minister consumed both.


The date of harvests was fixed by the Grand Prior on the proposal of his advisors who warned in advance “so that they could be put in a fit state to receive his sovereign”. The Consuls had gathered the Sunday before to read “ the report of eight burghers who proceeded to visit and verify the vineyard of the consulat of Fronton in order to determine the degree of maturity of the grape”.


In the South West of France, north of Toulouse, there is today a wine region of 2,400 hectares:

Fronton, classified as A.O.C. in 1975 producing red wine (75%) and rosé (25%) made mainly from a local grape called “négrette” of which at least 50% must be planted.